You can’t be everything to everyone but you can maximize your efforts to reach your core audience
In 2018 internet usage grew 7% and social media usage increased by 13%.
With the increase of smartphone users around the world, this number is only projected to increase in 2019.
At this point, everyone knows you need a strong digital presence for your business. Increasingly business needs to be “phigital.”This means they need to have a presence online and in-person and merge the experiences to meet the expectations set by things like the Museum of Ice Cream or Refinery 29’s Rooms.
You can learn how to do it all yourself, but that takes you away from other parts of your business.
What should you do? Here are some helpful tips anyone can use.
1) Choose a Target Audience: You can’t be everything to everyone, think about your sales plan and what areas you want to grow, areas where you want to maintain sales, or areas where you want to deepen awareness. We work with a lot of clients who are targeting Millennials, Generation Z, and Latinx’s. Think about who you want to reach and what unique value you offer them.
2) Stand for Something: According to Edelman, “Belief-Driven Buyers are now the majority. 64 percent of people choose, switch, avoid or boycott a brand based on its stand on societal issues.” What does this mean? Don’t shy away from industry issues and from discussing them on social media. This is where it helps to work with someone who will help you align your messaging about issues so everyone in your organization is on the same page.
Make sure your mission and purpose are clear.
3) Transparency: People will also want to know more about your supply-chain, where you get your products, and who makes your items. Make efforts to earn the trust of your audience and admit when you make a mistake or that there are things you are improving. Take a look at companies like Everlane and our client All For Ramon who are transparent about how their products are made. It’s not just about putting out a political t-shirt but about truly being conscious about your business is impacting the world.
4) Video: In the upcoming months and year vertical video will become the norm. With the increased use of smartphones, all video you create should be optimized for this medium. We aren’t just talking about your traditional video, but LIVE video, drone videos, and other tools to bring viewers into the action. Your digital marketing strategy MUST include video. The good news is that increasingly tools are available to help create a high-quality video with ease or you can always outsource your strategy too!
A brand video is no longer an option, it's a requirement for social media and your website.
5) Augmented Reality: Yes, it’s here! Those face filters you see on social are a form of augmented reality and in the coming months, you will see more brands creating their own. Currently, Instagram is allowing big companies like Adidas to experiment with a new feature that allows you to submit your own. We predict events will continue to create face filters to merge the physical and digital experiences. We are not sure when this will be available to everyone but we predict this will become a trend you don’t want to miss out on in 2019. Learn more here.
Whatever your capacity make sure you have a strategy that incorporates these 5 assets to ensure your brand stays relevant in a changing world.